Ethos and Values
At St. Matthew’s, our vision is ‘to provide an inclusive environment where all children learn and flourish in a setting shaped by Christian Values.’
We are inclusive because:
- We recognise the uniqueness in everybody and all children are treated as individuals
- All pupils have a voice and we nurture their emotional, physical and academic well-being
- All religions are valued and we recognise and celebrate diversity
- We work in partnership with the local community and all opinions matter – children, staff and parents
- We personalise learning and encourage all children to succeed and have confidence in themselves
We encourage all children to flourish and aspire towards their full potential by:
- Instilling a sense of self-belief and resilience so that children feel safe enough to take risks.
- Encouraging children to be involved in their learning and decision-making, so that they build a growth mind-set.
- Nurturing a sense of curiosity and a love of exploration through a variety of learning experiences.
- Becoming well rounded, responsible members of today’s diverse society.
- Giving children a personalised education that has high expectations and recognises individual strengths and weaknesses.
- Ensuring all children and families are supported pastorally and emotionally.
- Modelling a love of learning by enthusiastic and highly skilled teachers.
- Recognising everyone’s achievements and celebrating all successes in all areas of school life.
We nurture the children in living out the Christian values by emphasising the Fruit of the Spirit being love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control (Galatians 5.22) and the importance of forgiveness.
We do this by:
- Providing the children with opportunities for daily collective worship through focusing on the teachings of the Bible; praising God through word and song, praying together and reinforcing their understanding of the school’s Five G’s (God, Growing, Grace, Giving and Guiding) These are spoken and signed every day in Collective Worship.
God God’s love reflected in all we do. Growing Growing together and towards God in all we do. Grace Together and towards God, in our school and Church communities. Giving Giving freely of ourselves, revealing God’s love in our hearts. Guiding
Preparing children for the challenges of the future.
- Having charity at the heart of our school both through encouraging generosity of action and giving but also engaging with the causes which the charities seek to promote; this can empower children to become courageous advocates for a variety of good causes.
- Delivering stimulating RE lessons and creating an atmosphere for open discussions in which we encourage an understanding of and respect for the religious and moral values of Christianity and many other major religions.
- Offering the children time and space for personal reflection and the opportunity to respond to the needs of those around them through prayer and kindness.
- Fostering opportunities for awe and wonder, allowing the children to take in the greatness of God’s creation, and to appreciate and care for all living things.
- Re-enforcing the central Christian message- forgiveness for others and for the children themselves. We treat every day as a fresh start.